With nothing fancier than a piece of thin card, a pencil, a pair of scissors and some masking tape, I was determined to turn the drab papier-mâché balloons into a work of art
I sketched out some dinosaur spikes, a pair of piggie ears, a head and a tail feather for the Angry Bird and a semi-circle which I taped into a cone shape for its beak. Rather than cutting the shapes out exactly, I cut an extra 1.5 cm on the edge that was to be attached to the balloon. I then cut tabs and folded them in alternating directions (except for the beak, for which I folded all of the tabs outwards). I also made a papier-mâché piggie snout which I shaped around a little freezer weaning pot covered with cling film (I was hoping to use a section of egg box but they don't seem as cup-shaped as they were when I was a lass).
I taped the adornments in place with the masking tape. When taping things to the top of the balloon, I would highly recommend bending them so the contact point to the balloon is curved, otherwise (for example the head feather) they will be floppy and won't stand up.
The kids are eagerly waiting for them to dry so they can paint them with water-based paint =)